A class D mono amp of 350-500 watts would be just about perfect as this sub just absorbs as much power as you can give it........

I just got rid of a Class D mono amp in my car, and couldn't be happier to see it go!

If I were trying to drive a 12" subwoofer and make as much noise as possible, then a Class D would be the way to go. The good thing about a Class D is that it is extremely efficient -- the amount of output you get for a given amount of input power consumption is nearly double that of a class A/B amp (the kind that nearly all of us use). The bad thing about a class D is that this efficiency is gained by very aggressive filtering of the higher frequencies in the pre-amp stage. A typical Class D amplifier will have a maximum high frequency output of 125 Hz. That means all you are going to get is "Blumph Blumph Blumph".

I cross my subs over at nearly 1000 Hz, and by so doing I get a much cleaner, warmer sound that actually has tonality to it. Subwoofers are for more than just drum beats!

That said, there's no reason that you should try to make your stereo sound just like mine does. If you like the sound of a Class D subwoofer amp, then that's the right amp for you.

tanstaafl.