In reply to:

Note that you have to feed a single monaural signal to all four speakers so they act in unison in order for this to work.

i'm thinking about experimenting with this.... if i put the speakers in this configuration:

2 in series, then both in parallel.... it will be the same resistance and therefore the same wattage, even though my amp is going to draw more power, if i remember my physics correctly.

i basically have the idea that i can eliminate the need for rear fill, removing my free-range 6x9 speakers completely, so sound from the trunk can reach the front more easily

i worry though that it will reduce low range because for now, my trunk acts as a semi-sealed enclosure for my 12" sub. i'm not too sure whats going to happen.

as for the enclosure, i'm thinking a HUGE sealed cylindrical is the best bet (yes, its ugly as hell, but the resistance to flex is incredible). that means my diameter is going to be approximately 15". i'm just not sure what volume i'm going to need.... probably depend on the T&S data that i won't be able to find because its not usually associated with 6 1/2"s.

will probably experiment with this this weekend. ask my buddies in the installing business to make a quick hack and see the performance. thanks for giving me ideas.