A good question. I was under the impression (due to some manufacturer pages about the higher refresh rates) that those GPS devices could actually sample (and acquire) data as many times as 20 times per second.. Which would be rather important for me (as I have a hobby of doing speed tests on various cars I get my hands on). I may be mistaken (or misled).

I know of the laptop-part. I've been contemplating between the following:

1) Buying a very small and light laptop (such as a Fujitsu Lifebook) with the cigarette-lighter-power accessories and using that with my existing GPS + some navigation software (such as Route66). This solution might be nice, but not very comfortable, not with this DELL Inspiron 8100, which is a suitcase, at least.

2) Getting the BMW navi (DVD)-system with the large screen installed. This would quite much keep everything in-the-dash and would also seriously lessen the threat of theft. However, it seems that this system costs over 5700 euros + install at the moment. Also, I'm not sure whether it is 'good enough', at least yet.

After considering these two options, I reverted back to the possibility of installing my Empeg to my E46 BMW... But it yet again introduces more problems. It seems like none of the three options were good enough.

I'm also not very happy with the aftermarket stuff, as car-stereo (head unit) thefts have multiplied in the past year here for some reason (mainly drug addicts trying to get money for heroin or such)...besides I would very much like to have my Empeg in the dash doing EVERYTHING one can wish for, hehe..