I've got a 2000 Subaru Outback (you were probably looking at my posts and pictures) which is basically the same car/dash as yours, and I think that your major obstacle in getting the Empeg in is just fitting it in the dash. If you pay them enough money, an installer can hook you up stereo/amp/speaker wise but I would be very cautious about who you take it to for the physical installation. Some dash trim and stereo mouting assembly modification HAS to be done to fit the sucker in there.

I would call your dealership's parts department, and get a quote on the trim part (including the cup holder) that surrounds the stereo. I was quoted $100 for the faux wood trim piece, so I decided that it was worth it to cut it up for my install, knowing that I can always buy a new piece if I decide to sell the car.

The stereo assembly CAN be bent to accept the Empeg sled. I did it with the Empeg in the middle DIN slot, although I don't know what kind of luck you'll have with getting it in the 3rd slot. The 3rd slot seems like it would be awfully low for the Empeg to sit in. Sometimes I wish that I could have installed mine in the 1st slot so I don't have to look down so far to see the display.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I wish they made an RCA aux-in adapter for the Subaru deck (it's probably a Panasonic radio) but I have not been able to find one. That was my first choice for install, but there is no such thing, I guess. I have the pinouts for the CD changer plug on the back of my stereo if you would like, I was almost thinking about experimenting with mine to see if I could fabricate one.

Edited by cushman (14/11/2002 22:44)