There is absolutely no way that you'll persuade every empeg owner to buy 2 fascias. For the record ISTR there's about 4000 units out there.

Remember that the vast majority of owners simply use their empegs, rather than get heavily involved in mod'ing them. I'd hazard a guess that if the existing fascia was simply re-designed to make color-changing a 'drop in' affair, and if it could be priced around the $60 point, that you'd still sell less fascias than Brian sells button kits. (I have no idea how many orders he's had...maybe you could ask). And you'd still have competition from the custom fascias (wood, aluminum etc) that have satisfied peoples' creative desires.

I'd also guess that the most successful route for sucess would be to avoid the injection process (ie 1 time high cost, lower per-unit costs) in favor of a CNC machined process that has a higher per-unit cost, but little in 1 time costs (basically prototype costs).

I reckon that if you could get a CNC milled fascia out that;

(a) used standard shaped buttons (and hence compatible with the standard buttons and Brian's button LED buttons)
(b) was similar in styling to the original, but removed the 'Upper Left VFD Obscuration Bug'
(c) allowed very easy color changes
(d) utilised the standard screen pattern (at least for the 'base' color - People won't want to lose their investment in Darkstorm Lenses)
(e) was priced <= $150. (competitive with others)

then you'd probably sell a few, enough to make the venture worthwhile anyway.