I don't think I've seen this one reported before.

A few days ago, I got in my car and started driving with the empeg playing. Before I got to the end of my street, so less than a couple of minutes after startup, the song playing suddenly stopped playing. No noise coming out of the speakers at all, as if I had accidentally pressed the pause button. (I hadn't.)

I looked down at the player and it didn't appear to be paused (no double bar icon), but the time display wasn't changing. I figured it had locked up, but just to test that, I pressed the pause button. When I did, it showed the pause icon. I pressed it again and it showed the play triangle icon for a normal-seeming amount of time and it then went away, still without any music or progression of the time display.

I held down the right button to try to fast-forward within the track. The time display changed, but there was still no sound during the fast-forward and when I let go, the time display still didn't move beyond where I had fast-forwarded to. So I pressed the right button to go to the next track, which it did, but it sat at 0:00. I played around some more, and everything seemed to work fine except for the fact that the player wouldn't make the speakers do anything and the time display never moved in a normal fashion on its own.

Removing and reinserting the player fixed the problem. The track I was playing was a CBR MP3 that I'd played 8 times before, according to the plays counter, including once just the day before, as I was listening to the same album twice, back-to-back. I also verified that it played fine after I got it back up.

I would think that this seemed like the pause bug, but I hadn't been, to paraphrase a Sun engineer, pounding on the pause button like a wild monkey, I didn't hear any quick blast of sound when I paused or unpaused, and the time display didn't progress in either the paused or unpaused state.

Anyone else seen this?