In reply to:

long delay between what and what? pressing a button and having the event acted on?

Yep, thats it in a nutshell, happens in player mode almost exclusively - when I'm in tuner mode the buttons work fine I think.

And thats whether you're on AM or FM band.
I use AM occasionally when the cricket is one as thats the band they broadcast on - and also where the BBC World Service Radio is, otherwise its moslly FM.

The buttons I use most are next and prev track (inner ring on Stalk), and I skip through songs I don't like.

I have considered the possibility that the empeg is trying to cache the new song you just skipped to - but the buttons seem to run slow even when the song you're playing is well and truly cached from disk as you've been listening to it for half its length without touching any buttons.
[and I have the disk icon active on my player so I know when its accessing the disk and when its not].

I also considered that the stalk buttons may be wearing out or something, but I find that other buttons go slow too [like mute] which I use once or twice a day (max), the "source switching" button (on the end of the stalk) hardly gets used either and its also slow, so I doubt its the particular mechanism wearing out in the stalk and getting sloppy or not switching properly.

I do notice that it tends to be most erratic when the car is warm - so maybe the temperature is making the resistors go "off value" more than is expected, thus causing the tuner to read the wrong resistor values - this would however result in the odd "wrong button" - and that happens very rarely in my case.
But we are not talking major heat here - player says 30-45 degrees C and my car is air conditioned so if the stalk was getting to hot, the cold air from the vent would cool it down within minutes and make it work "better" - but I don't see that either.

The whole stalk control feels sluggish sometimes, and not at other times.

When you use the front panel buttons they respond pretty quickly so its something to do with stalk processing.

I run Hijack on 2.0B13 - with no IR mappings and my Hijack is fairly recent (about 4 behind the current I think).

I think it was better on 2.0B7.