Hi All,

I've just recently installed a 60gb (Toshiba MK6021GAS, currently available from Googlegear) in a Mark I. Initally this did not go well, as I was having the /dev/hda4 problem so often mentioned on this board. I tried all the suggestions available here, but to no avail. I did reinstall the original 12gb drive which worked and could verify that there was no hardware problem, and also sucessfully ran builder on a 6gb drive I had laying about.

The builder gave the following error that was my main clue:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 4k initVFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev ide0(3,4).
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda4,
or too many mounted file systems
warning: can't open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
umount: /drive0: not mounted
Making first drive...
mke2fs 1.14, 9-Jan-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/hda4 is mounted. no room for private writable mapping

error: -12

/dev/hda4: Memory allocation failed while setting up superblock hdstress.cpp 189 ( 14): Poll result=0 on fd=5

It seemed that, since I could run builder on the 6gb and 12gb drives and not the 60gb, that I was lacking enough memory to do so (it seems that this wouldn't be an issue, but what I did worked...).

I remembered that the Mark II empegs have more ramI have a couple of Mark IIa handy, so I ran builder on the 60gb drive using one. It worked flawlessly, so I reinstalled the 60gb in the Mark I, installed the player app, and had no further problems.

I hope this might help any Mark I owners.

Every screw associated with the hard drive (cradle mount and hard drive mount) were beyond loose, so it may be a good idea to check these.

The new drive was slightly longer than the original, such that I have only about 1mm clearance between the ide connector and the display board. Since this unit will never see car use again, I decided not to worry about it, but I wouldn't use it in a mobile application like this.

Comments?

Larry