Well, let me dig this one up from the grave, now that Enterprise is in it.

This last season was not bad. It had a few clunkers, but it was largely entertaining. In all, what an average season of a Star Trek show (or any show, for that matter) should be like.

First let me comment on one thing before I get to the finale: the two-part mirror universe story. Or should I say "story"? What the hell was that? It had none of the "real" universe characters, and more importantly, had basically no plot, and certainly no resolution. Can anyone fill me in on why this thing existed? On the other hand, it was still wildly better than all of the other episodes due to the lack of the theme song.

Now, onto the finale. As you can tell, I've never been a big fan of the show, despite my masochistic desire to watch every episode waiting for a good one. But you could at least have the decency of making the last episode of Enterprise be an episode of Enterprise instead of a thrown-away plot element of a minor episode of Next Generation. What was with that? So Riker is watching this historical footage to determine whether or not to tell Picard about the cloaking device? What was it he saw that led him to any sort of conclusion? And why did they have to kill off someone to fend off the same attacks that the Enterprise has withheld dozens of times before? At least we didn't get to see a funeral, or really even anyone being upset over it, at least any more than being forced to tidy up his quarters. And then they cut short the whole beginning of the Federation thing as if to say "That crap isn't important. What's really important is this other show we worked on fifteen years ago. This minor plot point is much more interesting."

Augh! This is what frustrated me about the show. The fact that Berman and Braga just didn't care about it or the Star Trek universe at all.