Okay, right now, the player can play nogapped VBR files, but they're nigh unusable because of the issues with FFing and REWing.

Hacking the support for VBR headers back into LAME for nogapped files seems to reintroduce gapping. This is because the VBR headers in LAME have been broken for quite some time (forever?). In the VBR header, there is a field that contains the number of frames in the mp3 file. LAME's frame count was always one less than what it should have been because it failed to count the VBR header itself as a frame.

The frame miscount causes some players to fail to play the final frame, apparently including the empeg player, in all its recent versions.

The specific VBR header fixer being used was also broken and dropped the final frame on the floor when ``fixing'' it, causing the same problem in a different way.

Both of these problems are compounded by the fact that 2.0b13 also seems to introduce gaps when it sees a VBR header, but Peter's build somewhere after b13 has fixed that problem, he reports.

Edit: More untruths. I've gotten so far away from the original issues, I've forgotten what they were.

Edit again: To jibe with Tony's memory, which I think is correct in this case.

Edited by wfaulk (21/02/2003 20:36)