There are several advantages and disadvantages to LCDs.

Disadvantages are:

The backlight tube has a limited lifespan and will progressively get dimmer as it ages. They're rated for several thousand hours so you'll get a good few years use out of it before it becomes annoying.

Another problem is that unless you buy the expensive panels you're only going to get 6 bits each for RGB. This means you'll get 262K distinct colours. The more advanced and therefore more expensive panels have 8 bits each for R, G and B.

Advantages are:

Resolution wise LCDs are great. I've got a 15" 1600x1200 on my laptop and it's really sharp. I've got a 17" 1280x1024 as well as my desktop display and that's also excellent. It's not quite as high DPI as the laptop but it's still good. You should get a graphics card that has a DVI output however as using the analogue VGA signal will result in ghosting.

Remember that most CRT manufacturers still quote the size of the actual CRT glass instead of the viewable area. So a 17" LCD is roughly equivalent to a 18" CRT.

The space and power saving from using a LCD is good if you've got a hot office or if you've not got much desk space.

- Trevor