Tony, unfortunately, saw a demo of my Tiger Moth in 15 knot winds. Not the best time to show it off, but still, was flyable (barely). Even moderate breezes aren't too bad depending on the model.

For beginners, you can't beat the GWS foam series. They have the Tiger Moth (a great biplane model) and a line of warbirds. All are fairly durable, cheap as dirt, and easy as all hell to build and fly. I highly recommend them.

I also have an electric helicopter that I can fly indoors or outdoors (Hornet) but it's tough to fly and quite a bit more expensive than the fixed-wing craft. But, if you're like me and need to scratch the rotary itch...

Park flyers are great fun and much easier to pick up and fly than glow models. Because they're so cheap, you can afford to crash once in a while as well (I'm on my third Moth). Go out with a few battery packs and you can fly all day almost non-stop.

My family has three Moths, one has an 800/9.2 pack and it gets over 30 min of flight time per charge. I have a video that we made on Father's Day last year if anyone is interested...just email me.