This is not a trend that's going to reverse itself. My 98 Honda Civic has the factory keyless entry, and even the door sensor for the dome light inside the factory Honda radio. When I first replaced it with a CD receiver, I lost keyless entry and the dome light could only be turned on manually. I have since upgraded to a better CD receiver and of course, an empeg. And then I found an adapter kit which extends the wires necessary for keyless entry and dome light sensor, allowing you to place the factory radio almost anywhere. This I have done.

The only trend I would hope to see is aftermarket companies doing their best to keep up with the new sizes and shapes of factory slots, in order to fit better units, and adapter kits (wiring, etc.) in order to keep the full functionality of the car.

There is something to be said for a well done, at home aftermarket install. And while I'm no audiophile, I do like my music. And what I have put into my car with my own two hands in order to enjoy my music, I'm quite happy with. I too, do not like how the auto industry is making it more difficult for this to be done. I will have a hard time choosing a new car when the day comes.