Every so often whenever I hear about cooling (or heating for that matter) problems relating to space one mans name comes to mind from my uni days, "Peltier", or more specifically "Peltier Effect".

Any of you gus looked into this as a viable form of silent, space saving cooling?, seems tailor made for CPU's et al.

I had a quick search and you can pick up this nifty kit for $14.50 @ http://kitsrus.com

Peltier Module Kit 66
We are selling one type of module 4cm x 4cm, (1.6" x 1.6") with 127 p-n couples. When current passes through two different conductors, heat is produced in one and absorbed in the other. Peltier first described this in 1834. Modern semiconductor materials can make p-n junctions which produce large temperature differences. This 4cm x 4cm x 4mm thick module contains 127 p-n junctions connected electrically in series but thermally in parallel.
Maximum temperature difference = 59 deg C at 30 deg C ambient with no heat load.
Maximum ratings = 13.5V, 4.4A, 36W. Production code TEC1-12704.

Sounds good so far except that you still gotta shift that heat with a suitable heat sink otherwise the device will fry.

Still may be worth a bit of research and a play for those with too much free time (can't be bothered with all that heat dynamics stuff anymore.... shudders in memory of REALLY long and pointless equations......)

Cheers, Sim

Edited by simspos (08/05/2003 11:52)