I just realized it might also be a good idea to take the fascia off and just place it in front of the gauges to see if it would fit if i could find someone local that has a pod.

Took me a while to reply as I was hunting for the attached, probably useless picture. That's a home-brew mount that I pop in on an as-needed basis and it is using just a simple Ratshack 8x5x3 inch project box (with a sheet of 3/8" foam on the bottom. It sits on the heater vent ducting which runs pretty straight back from those 2 dash vents. There is a surprising amount of odd space in there for various things, but I would be very surprised if you could mount the Empeg in the OE gauge pod. Those gauges aren't very deep.

Me, I really like that pic Matt posted.....hmmm a flip up VFD display?

I'm torn on the rears though... lots of votes for ditching them completely and lots for just getting some 4" coaxials. Hm. What are you guys running?

My speakers are just Crutchfield-variety Rockfords, I did put their 4.5 inchers in the back and I think I can tell, but I'm not sure! I need to disconnect them for a while and see.

If you were going to leave the stock head unit, were you just going to work around it? I wasn't sure if anybody had figured out the wiring to that OE Panasonic CD changer intertface. I sold mine to a friend with a Legacy and she thinks it is ultra high tech!

(edit: Oh and I really liked morrisdl's "reverse connector" trick and I might have tried it on the WRX -- might yet try it still to see if the Empeg would sit a bit more flush -- but it won't help avoid hacking that $85 bezel a little bit. )

Attachments
164916-MountBox.jpg (205 downloads)

Edited by jimhogan (20/06/2003 14:32)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.