i have noticed a couple of times that after i start the car, the empeg picks up in the middle of a completely different song than the one i was listening to when i turned off the car.

This happens when it didn't save its state properly at the last power-down. It happens to me intermittently on my Mark 1. The song it starts in the middle of is the one from the previous power down.

Empeg guys, this is a rare and intermittent problem, but it's definitely real. Are you aware of it and do you have an idea what might cause it?

Now, I have to admit, the fact that it can save its state to NVRAM at all when the power is yanked... that's amazing to me in and of itself: The thing attempts to do a state-save as it detects the voltage dropping from a power loss. It's done with the player's last dying breaths- the remaining few electrons circulating in its innards as it sputters into cold oblivion. It's got mere milliseconds to detect the power loss and get the job done before it hasn't got enough power to do the job at all. To me, this is just amazingly cool when it does work, so I don't find it surprising that it sometimes fails.