Yeah, pretty much what you say goes here, too. No-one models but the modelling department. Half of that is done in Maya, half in our proprietary stuff. Depends on how long the modellor has been at the company. That also determines whether sub-d or polys are used -- our proprietary modelling tools are polys only, and our proprietary animation and rendering tools can't handle nurbs (to the best of my knowledge), so those are ruled out automatically.

So far as I can tell, all our humanoids are modelled in half, then mirrored. I don't know for sure how they deal with the seam, but so long as the vertices on the seam are welded so that you end up with a single normal, you shouldn't be seeing a seam at all. Mouths appear to be the push-in thing, with extra geometry for teeth/tongue.

I'm not 100% sure how faces are rigged at R&H, but I don't think it's with bones -- I think it's all weighted control points. But then, it's all proprietary stuff, so I don't know how much of it translates to what's in Maya.