I don't doubt that there Software kicks ass. And I don't doubt that it runs perfectly under Windows or perhaps Linux. But I'm not running one of those OSes, so what should I do? I can't use their software so it's useless.

FTP in itself is platform independant, but you can't "mount" a FTP Server, that means when you want to listen to MP3 stored on the Karma via your PC, you first have to download the complete MP3, before starting to listen.

Samba (more precisely SMB) _is_ a propriatary protocol, but there is also NFS. All my MP3s are stored at a NFS server right now, it would be cool if the Karma could take over that role.

As for the "stupid software", that might have been a bit harsh. In fact, I've never used one of these tools. It's just that I'm pretty sure, that sooner or later I want one feature that is not present and I want to be _able_ to write my own tools managing the MP3s. If Rio would lay open the protocol used to talk to the Karma over TCP/IP that would be no problem, but I'm pretty sure they won't release such information (Please tell me I'm wrong).

No matter what, I _will_ get a Karma as soon as it is available in stores in Germany. I just want to let people know that either SMB or NFS is desired (at least by me), so perhaps it can be added in a later Firmware revision.