Quote:
I was confused while reading this... you mention "retagging" to get things to read properly into Palantir. But "tags" as in ID3 tags are not used by the empeg once the files are on the player. So, when you mention "fix the tags" do you really mean "fix the data in your database" or "fix the ID3 tags on the mP3 file and replace the file on the empeg"?

Well, I just find it's easiest to fix all my ID3 tags, then upload to the Empeg. If you like to modify the data in your database instead of making sure the ID3 tags are right, that's fine too, just as long as the data in the Empeg is correct. The export from jEmplode or Emplode exports the data in the database, so as long as that is correct you will get a good file for Palantir. I like to have everything neat and tidy, that way all my "tweak by" functions work correct and also the Palantir database is sorted.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for Sony to mail me my Clie's installation CD, so I havn't been able to play with this yet, but I imagine that even if I had a 50% larger file (as mentioned in another post) I'd consider it worth it if I could get Palantir to mimic my empeg's playlist structure. Of course, it's easy for me to say that since I wouldn't have to write anything!

You can't find a download of the Clie software somewhere? I'm sure you might be able to find it on some p2p networks.

Like I said before, Empire and Palantir are both open source, and I have posted information on the db format on this board, so you are welcome to modify them all you want. I prefer to have the Empeg's database correct for a few reasons:

1. You can use the auto-generated soup views in jEmplode to create your a-c -> Alice In Chains -> Dirt -> Would? tree view automatically, and update the playlists on the fly when you upload new songs. I have 0 user-defined playlists, they are all soup playlists generated by jEmplode.

2. Tweak by artist, source will always work correctly

3. Palantir works well out of the box.

Quote:
Another petty request would be to have an install script ala emphatic, but your instructions are simple enough.

I may think about this in the future.