and even when we know better we like the lie better than the truth.
"We" or "she?" Do you buy into her same mentality that, although you know it's a scam, you're okay with it? Or is it just a symbolism thing?

I'm certainly not commenting on your particular situation here, but if you ask me, this whole idea has its root in the concept that one party has to outlay a large sum of cash to another party as some kind of monetary symbol that it's true love. I would argue that one marriage isn't stronger than another just because Groom A gives his wife a 1.5 carat monster diamond and Groom B gives his wife a Diamonique ring from QVC. If that's the case, then the groom might as well just give the woman the cash, and line her pockets instead of supporting the most corrupt industry outside of professional boxing.

I personally welcome the fall of DeBeers, and hope that by the time I'm thinking about marriage, the whole concept of "who gets the biggest and most expensive diamond ring" has disappeared. Even if it was replaced by "who buys his wife the biggest and most expensive car," at least the car is something that's useful, sold at fair market value, and doesn't exploit workers in poorer countries.