The latest in my saga:

I have the Rio installed in my Miata along with a Sony head unit, an MTX 4ch amp and an Alpine amp.

The Sony goes into the Aux on the Rio.

The Rio is grounded to a separate grounding point in the trunk, where the MTX is also grounded.

The Rio harness and the Sony are both grounded to the original grounding point of the stock Bose HU.

Here's the deal:

All was working fine, very clear, no noise, until one day the whine came back. This also coincided with the dreaded "Hard Drive Not Found" display, which I traced to a dry solder joint on the mother board.

Fixed that pin but the whine remains.

However, if I hook the Sony up straight to the Amps, thus bypassing the Rio, there is absolutely no noise at all! It is only when I run the outputs of the Rio to the amps that I get the whine.

It is too coincidental that the dry solder problem and the ignition whine both happened at about the same time.

Looking at all the other joints I notice that they too may not be getting as full a contact as perhaps they should. But the Rio boots up just the same, no problem.

So if I may ask once again for you all to put your thinking cps on and givent he wiring I described above, at which connection am I picking up this horrible whince?

Thanks,

Ed