Actually it does seem to differ for some reason, what can one expect from MS ... Okay the hard way then ...

REGEDT32 TIME !!!

By default, the shell creates 1 process with the Taskbar and Desktop as one thread and each instance of explorer as an additional thread. A failure in any thread will affect the entire process.
If you have at least 24 Meg of RAM and a fast Pentium, you can create a separate process for the Desktop/Taskbar and 1 for each instance of explorer by editing the registry at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

and adding value DesktopProcess (REG_DWORD). Set it to 1 and reboot.

On my dual processor, this seems to give snappier Desktop performance.

Note: You can not have Active Desktop with this hack.

Ehr, having said that, perhaps not having Active Desktop enabled per default ... whatever.

Hope this is better then, this is what I used before it became an option that could be set (in some versions).

Hans

Oh, speaking of which, if there are more MS slaves here (personally I can't escape it at work) take a look at the NT Registry Hacks section of www.jsiinc.com ... Yes two 'i'-s in the middle ... And if you can sponsor the guy by downloading his all-in-one-html-hypertext-package and registring it. The tips there have helped me out plenty in the past and the future. Well worth a few measly quid if you use it and you will.

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431