Nope, I don't see it at the Canon site. Too bad, since I tried some of the freeware photo stitchers and I didn't like them as much as the one that came with the camera.

Anyway, to answer SE's question more directly:

Yes, you can do the trick where you take a picture, rotate the camera, take another picture, etc., and it's possible to stitch the results into a 360-degree "VR" file or just a really wide regular JPG file, your choice. Once you've got the pictures, the rest is just how you choose to save the final file format.

There's two things you need to worry about:

1. Getting the pictures right. The Canon camera I've got has a "stitch assist" mode where I can actually see the prior photo lined up on the LCD so that I know how much to overlap the next photo. It's hard to describe, but really nifty when you see it in action. It would be possible to do this without the stitch-assist, but it would require a lot more trial and error and would mean a lot more fiddling with the photos in the PC afterwards. Also, if your camera aims up or down a little bit, or if you rotate it just a little bit, then the whole procedure gets thrown off by the amount of rotation or angle. Too much rotation or angle and the images will be too messed up to stitch. So that's why a tripod is useful. It's not required, but it makes it a lot easier.

2. Choosing how to put the 360-VR images on the web site. There isn't a standard format for this, and it always requires third party viewer software. Every time I've seen a site do this, it's been a different format. Some of them are Java applets, others are ActiveX controls which put spyware on your hard disk, others require you to download a player and install it yourself. Then there's whatever limitation of the software that you're stitching with. Mine ouputs only QuickTime VR, I think.

But other than that, yeah, you can do it for free.