Okay, so maybe last year's thread was a little overzealous. Maybe coming up with an entire new way for Hijack to manage multiple user applications (and thus managing input and display focus separately) is a little too much, at least at one time. So this year, I'm going to try the incremental steps approach for my wish list.

I'll start out with two of the big ones that would help me out the most for what I'm writing:

1) Something like ioctl(fd, EMPEG_HIJACK_APPSWITCH, NULL) that will allow an app to automatically focus itself, rather than needing to do an EMPEG_HIJACK_WAITMENU. If multiple apps try this, the first one wins, others get an error result code back.
2) Allow background apps to call EMPEG_HIJACK_SETGEOM even if they're not focused, and subsequently EMPEG_HIJACK_DISPWRITE to that area of the screen. If a background app and a foreground app each try to claim the same section of screen real-estate, the foreground app wins. If two background apps try to claim the same area, the first one wins, the second one gets back an error result code.

The second one would also, I think, be useful in a situation where GPSapp (running in background) wanted to update a little window with coordinates, etc. while another app (say, emphatic) was running in the foreground doing its thing.

I submit these requests for your approval, M'Lud.