Okay, here's what I know so far about the default partitions available on the Empeg. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about any of this

empeg:/# cat /proc/partitions
major minor #blocks name

3 0 17716608 hda
3 1 1 hda1
3 2 33264 hda2 ext2 partition for user stuff
3 3 16632 hda3 ???? partition for settings, playlists, etc
3 4 17633448 hda4 ext2 partition for /drive0 (music)
3 5 16569 hda5 ext2 root partition
3 6 16600 hda6 swap partition

So here's what I'm not certain of. I've read several times that the disks are mounted read-only and kept spun down most of the time, etc. But if hda3 is a dynamic partition that stuff is written to (playlists and such) how is it kept read only? Also, I've read that it's some custom Empeg filesystem type, and "is not suitable for developer use." That's okay, but is there any way to *read* the contents? I was looking for a way I could drop to a shell and get the name of the song that was currently playing in the player (from this partition) and then find the corresponding FID file and delete it with a script. Like I know the "mark track" feature is coming, but until then, I thought I could quit the player to a shell and run a script to delete the currently playing tune. To do this it seems I'd need to be able to read something from /dev/hda3.

So regardless of whether that's possible or not, can someone tell me what the deal is with this partition? If the drives are kept read only, I'm a little confused as to how data gets to this guy.

-Tony
MkII #554