If the compression on the pink noise would effect the spectrum....wouldn't it affect music tracks the same way?

Of course it would! But the difference is that MP3 is designed to ensure (as best it can) that those differences are inaudible for the music being played. Encode a different song, and different frequencies will be lost.

If you're measuring the frequency response of your sound system, though, you need all of the frequency content there, audible or not.

But my theory is this.... If, hypothetically, 2000hz was boosted in MP3's....and therefore the pink noise was showing up un-even......I would set the EQ to compensate...and that would be a good thing...because music would have the same 2k spike....and my new EQ settings would correct it....

No, that is definitely not the case. The frequencies altered by MP3 encoding, and the manner in which they are altered, are entirely dependent on the context---i.e., on the song being encoded. A 2000Hz tone might be left alone in one song, and completely removed in another.

Michael Grant
12GB Green