I've got the dreaded alternator whine and clicking after installing my empeg. I have a simple installation (for now). I have a double DIN slot which contains my head unit on the bottom and the empeg above it. The empeg feeds the AUX in of the head unit. I don't have external amps.

Interestingly, the more I can increase contact between the empeg and the sled the quieter the whine gets. If I pull the sled out a bit from the dash and squeeze it against the empeg, the whine completely goes away. I bent the tabs in a little bit and it helped a little bit, but not enough. If I pull the sled completely out of the dash then squeezing it against the empeg no longer matters.

I've read the posts and the sites commonly linked here about ground loops and alternator whine. So I understand the general techniques used to solve the problem. I can start down that path but I thought my specific symptoms might give some clue about how to solve it.

I'm using the factory wiring. Space is very tight behind my DIN slots so I don't have much choice about how I seperate the signal and power wires. Without taking apart my dash to give me better access I pretty much have to push them where they will fit. Something that I thought might be contributing to the problem is that I have an absurdly long signal cable between the empeg and my head unit. The only Aux cable for my head unit is 2 meters long and ends in a male miniplug. I then have this connected to another 1 meter cable that gives me the male RCA's I need for the empeg. I know it's ridiculous to have 3 meters of cabling between components that are inches apart but this was my only choice with off the shelf cables. I currently have the excess length bundled with a zip tie and pushed into a little nook behind the DIN slots.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

-Dylan