I'm kicking around the idea of starting an open-source player project for the empeg. Basically, this would be a replacement for the 'player' executable. The goal would be to produce player software that is as good as or better than the current player. This wouldn't be a lightweight project, since the current player is already really good, and besides the actual mp3 software, it would all likely have to be done from scratch! But if we went through with it, we'd be able to customize every aspect of our empegs, or at the very least try out new ideas without waiting for an official version to be released.

Some of the ideas recently brought up on this forum, which could be done with an open-source player:

* Ability to lock the player, and unlock it with a "pin" number.
* A customizable menu system
* A plug-in architecture for adding (or removing) visuals
* A launcher to run other apps while music plays

Ideas? Comments? Flames?? As someone suggested in another thread, we could set the project up on sourceforge, and make more detailed design documents here if there is interest in having an open player. This is just pie-in-the-sky at the moment, but I think it would be an interesting project!

Oh, and sorry if this idea was already brought up before... It's been a while since I've done any empeg development, and I haven't been reading the forums as religiously as I used to!