I finally saw it (I know, late to the party as usual) and I have to say it has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I did not find it overly violent, but I realize that's totally due to viewing it through the eyes of faith. Each blow struck I saw as my own inflicted upon my Savior, and the sadistic smiles of the Romans demonstrative of my own sin-sick heart. I wept during this movie, and I'm one who hardly ever cries, especially movies (ask my wife). In fact, I'm largly unemotional even during worship services where others openly display various expressions of joy.

All that being said, if I were coming at this as only a movie, I'd probably agree with many of the views I've read about the level of violence. It works more as an expression of faith and devotion more than it does as a movie. So for those of you who haven't gone to see it yet I can only say that what you believe the purpose of the crusifixion was will determine how this movie will (or will not) speak to you.

As far as the inaccuracies mentioned earlier in this thread, from a biblical standpoint they got the timeline exactly right. Jesus prayed in the garden, was arrested, taken to a Jewish trial, taken to Pilot, taken to Herod, taken back to Pilot, and then sent to the cross. I didn't see anything anti-semitic other than the New Testament view that the Jewish religious leaders rejected Jesus as the messiah and conspired to kill him. I think the portrayls of Pilot and Harod both were extremely well done: Pilot more interested in power (and saving his neck) than justice, and Harod more interested in pleasure and entertainment than truth.

While the overall trial, torture, and execution of Jesus were as dead-on as I think they could have done, there were a few things that raised my eyebrows. The added bits with Satan were interesting and added an interesting context to many of the scenes. My wife REALLY objected to the use of children to portray deamons; I'm not sure what the rationale behind that was. The scene where the raven pecked out the theifs eyes mistified me and I thought it was unnecessary. Mary was portreyed more from a Catholic view than a protestant one (as should be expected), but even this was quite restrained. The focus was definitly on Christ.

I did feel at the end of the movie that I'd have liked to see more of the resurrection, but I realize that's a bit beyond the scope of what Mel was trying to do. However, I left feeling a little unsatisfied, like only half the story was told. But then again, I think I will have a great perspective on Easter this year; I will truly be able to rejoice that He is alive!