My first (legal) car was a Morris Marina TC (the twin carb version, for wasting fuel twice as fast) Coupe, and I'll hear nothing bad about it. After all, in two and a half years it only went through three gearboxes, two clutches, a rear differential, a rear wheelbearing (died at 70 mph on the motorway with no warning, an interesting experience), and a starter motor. Add to that the 15 MPG at best, the way both the sunroof and the windscreen leaked copiously, and the fact that if you were a little unwary applying power when turning you found yourself going the other way, it was a dream car. Or do I mean nightmare? I can't remember

At least it was better than the Vauxhall Chevette (or Shoveit). For instance, the marina did have a steering wheel that was centered in front of you, not off to one side and angled slightly so that you really needed one arm a little longer than the other. See attached for a photo of one that a friend of mine improved by parking under a falling tree at about 45 MPH. He did survive, more or less intact, amazingly enough.

They also seem to be down on the Citroen BX, which I think is a little unfair. The first one of those was one of the most reliable cars I've ever had. It did 60 MPG, was very comfortable, had astounding brakes, and the last time I saw it a couple of years ago had clocked up over 350000 miles on the original engine!

Mind you, the second one I had was one of the LEAST reliable cars I've ever owned. Nothing but trouble, although when it was working it was still very comfortable and nice to drive, with good mileage.

I wish I still had my old Honda Civic GTI though, that was the best car I ever owned. Three hundred quid as a throwaway vehicle, and it was still working fine four years later when I scrapped it because it had rusted out.

pca

Attachments
217458-crash1.jpg (110 downloads)