Hello all. I am hoping someone has seen this problem before... although I can't find a post here about it.

I have a small home network of about 10 machines on a autosensing 10/100 switch. My linux firewall is using dhcpd to issue IP addresses of 192.168.0.x to all of my internal machines. I installed the Rio software v1.03 onto my Windows NT Server 4.0 SP6a box (hopefully to use srvany in the future :-). I have turned off the "Autoconfiguration" feature to allow my DHCP server to allocate the IP addresses.

When I turn on my new Rio Receiver, it hangs out for a minute or so with "Please wait. Searching for music server" and finally times out coming back locked in a display with an auto-IP address of 169.254.225.x. During the search, I see that the switch port it is connected to has selected 10mb and see some occassional traffic via the blinking light on the switch. The link and activity lights on the back of the Rio are solid the entire time. The cable is a standard patch cable.
I see no requests in the dhcpd logs on my DHCP server. The Audio Receiver software nevers sees a receiver and the note stays red.

I try shutting down the dhcpd daemon and enabling the Autoconfiguration feature. No change.

So, to make sure it isn't the NT server, I shutdown the software and install it on the Windows XP workstation. Same results.

So, I shutdown the software on the XP, and install it on a W2K Pro laptop with two NICs. I connect the Rio directly to the laptop with a standard crossover cable and when I turn it on, the tray icon for the network connection tells me 10.0 mbs. After the Rio hangs for a bit, it shows the 169.254.123.x address again but the Rio software shows a gray "New Audio Receiver". Properties of the Receiver shows a good IP issued by the software (but doesn't match the receiver display).

I checked and the DisableDHCPMediaSense regkey is already set to 1 but the network tray icon still reports "Cable is unplugged" when disconnected from the Rio.

So I thought, "bad unit". Exchanged it for a different one at the store with the same results.

I am an experienced network admin but I can't get the thing to work so I am a little frustrated. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give.