I think you might have been confusing the Receiver with the HSX. Tony Fabris managed to get DisplayServer running on an early version of the HSX kernel.

I have not heard on anyone running DisplayServer on the Receiver, it only has 4Mb of RAM so I think it would struggle somewhat.

The way to get DisplayServer up and running on the Receiver (if you still want to try) would be to un-tar the receiver.arf file from the Audio Receiver folder on a Unix box (can't do it on a Windows box without breaking vitial bits in the tar file) and add the display server files to it. You would also have to replace the init binary with a script that ran display server and then ran the player app. Once you had done that you would tar the files back up again and put the file back on the windows box where you found it.

You would also have to patch a kernel with the irhack that is needed by DS to control the player.

Even if you did all this then it may not work, the Receiver is much more different than the HSX is from empeg, so it may not work anyway.

I am not about to attempt this, because even if I managed it I don't think it would be a good idea.

I am however attempting to build a custom kernel, to which I intend to add some of the same functionality that mlord's HiJack provides for the empeg/RioCar. If I manage this it would let you control the Receiver via a web browser from anywhere.

Unfortunately at the moment I can't get the stock kernel to compile. Has anyone here managed to build the Receiver kernel ?