(dang, my post got lost. trying again.)

Are these CDs clearly labeled as being "Copy Protected"? And are the mechanisms industry standards? From what I understand, the copy protection system is simply implemented by breaking the Red Book standard for these CDs.

In that case, I agree with Phillips -- these are damaged CDs, and any CD player, be it one in a stereo or in a computer, should be able to play it. If they need to take extra steps to recover from bit errors, then that's simply what's necessary to properly play the CD.

I'm impressed by Phillips' stance on the matter, and I'm also somewhat encouraged by SonicBlue's corporate heritage (with regards to the first Diamond players and ReplayTV). Most companies are simply saying "er, that sounds risky...wouldn't you rather buy this instead?" SB is getting right out there, producing a product, and saying to the industry "if you don't like it, challenge us properly, rather than simply through intimidation." When it got to court, they won, I believe (with MP3 -- not sure if ReplayTV's come to a head yet). And, partially from being first and best in the marketplace, they've got a strong lead as a result.

Hopefully, they can set a good example here, as well.