Okay, I'm at an interesting point here, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

I've decided that it's time for me to get a USB-capable high-capacity file taxi. Something to take huge files back and forth between home and work. I'm looking at a 20gb LaCie drive that runs about $199 if I remember correctly. This is a good option, and I might go with it.

But something I've had in the back of my mind for a long time is the idea that the Empeg is already perfectly equipped for this task, hardware-wise. I'm going to be replacing the failed hard disk pretty soon, and I'll have gobs of extra disk space. Since I've got this hardware sitting here already, why should I cart the Empeg and a LaCie drive back and forth, when, with a little software, I could just carry the Empeg (in its nice fasionable carrying case).

I don't have the cash for a Mark2, so I don't have ethernet. USB is what my Mark1 uses for its file transfers. The only problem is that all the FTP stuff I'm seeing on the BBS is meant for Ethernet. I don't think that stuff will run over USB (although correct me if I'm wrong).

So what are my options for turning the Empeg into a USB file taxi?

Note that I do not care about copying the music files at all. I'm just interested in making a little folder somewhere on one of the disk drives that I can call my own. I have no need for access to the FIDs.

I actually have this idea that this could be leveraged into an installable piece of custom software. For example, if someone good at Linux coding wanted to work with me, I could make the Windows user interface half while they worked on the Linux end. Imagine this: A custom kernel that includes new routines to handle the file I/O so that the developer image isn't required to install it. Then the Windows program fires up and talks to it via the USB port. When the Windows program starts, the Empeg quits the player software, mounts the hard disk R-W, and handshakes with the Windows software. Then the Windows software presents a little drag-drop folder screen so you can drag files back and forth from explorer. When you exit the Windows software, the Empeg remounts the drives R-O and goes back into the player.

This software could even make sure not to give access to the music files. That way, we could distribute it without fear of turning the Empeg into an AHRA-taxable item.

So am I dreaming or is this do-able?