They are discussing this on the MAD MP3 forum, but nothing definitive has been said. The only thing that seems like it's being violated from the patent is the methodology used to compute some error coefficients.

Personally, I'm not going to remove it unless I get a note from som lawyer asking me to - and then I might just reply with a "i'm on vacation" email or something

With the way the intenet is structured, it shouldn't be too difficult for people to post code in such a way that it's hard to track down the true owner, in which cases, who are they going after?

People actually selling products, then that's a different story as they wouldn't be making money if they were untraceable.

Anyhow, I think it's BS, and I'm kinda pissed that everyone got stuck on MP3s even though there were other free formats. And whatever happened to the whole JPG or was that GIF patent fiasco?

On a side note (regarding other formats), sony finally stopped producing/supporting BetaMax the other day. I heard it on NPR.

Reza