Just browsing the forum and noticed the question above for me... Better late than never, I guess...

No, I never hooked up my failed 160GB install disk to a Linux box to check it out...That would have been interesting...

However, I now have a new strategy for Central diskspace...

Because I've hooked up removable hard drive canisters on my Centrals, I have built up a "fleet" of 120 GB drives. I currently have 4 sets of 2 disks (each Central disk has a backup copy sitting on my shelf that I refresh periodically).

Each of these 4 Central disks has different music on it (one is even dedicated to Christmas music!!)...

While it would be nice to have all of my music collection on one Central hard drive, I've come to the conclusion that the performance would suffer too much for that to be a good solution...

My Central disk #1 has about 100 GB of music on a 120GB drive, and while it works, it is sluggish and prone to jEmplode instability.

However, I just built Central disk #4 and it currently has about 20GB of music on it. It runs much much faster in general and shows none of the stability or sluggishness issues when accessing the database with jEmplode, etc.

So I think I'll just keep doing it this way. If I want to play music that's on another Central Hard drive, it's just a swap away....

I think it would take a lot of work on the large hard drive side and software hacks/changes to get the kind of performance that we're used to with the smaller disks, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Randy