Pathe2 and bfournier

I am sorry that you have had problems getting the Rio running. It can be very frustrating, but I believe that it wil lbe worthwile perservering. Once any teething issues are dealt with, they are a joy ti use and enable you to listen to so much more of your music collection compared to scrabbling around looking for CDs that the kids have nicked/used as frisbees/scratched.

These forums have some pretty detailed troubleshooting posts, but as a starter:

Do you get a green link light on the back of the Rio?
When the error message appears, does the long number look something like 169.254.145.564. or 192.168.0.2?
Are you running a firewall?
Are you connecting directly to the PC using ethernet, or are you going through a switch/hub?

If you are connecting directly to the PC using ethernet, you need t use a "crossover" cable, not a "straight through" cable. If you are using the correct cable, then the green link LED on the back of the Rio will come on.

The error numbers that appear (169.254.25.65 or 192.168.xxx.xxx) are because the Rio cannot find the ARM program on the PC. I am guessing that the number is a 169.254.xxx.xxx type. That means that your PC is giving it an "emergency address" since the ARM software cannot see the Rio.

All this, while rather frustrating, is fixable quite easily with a bit of perserverance.

If you need help, just continue this thread and I am sure that others will also jump in to offer advice.

Good luck, and happy listening SOON!