Quote:
radio stuff
I'd like to take this opportunity, once again, to point out why I think the empeg software is wrong in its handling of the radio.

The whole idea of the empeg turned how one listened to pre-recorded music in the car on its ear. Yet the radio does its best to mimic any old car radio. Presets shouldn't be set in banks. That's a limitation that was defined by having a limited set of buttons to press. Now we have a virtually unlimited number of buttons. They should be set up the same way as playlists are in the mp3 player: in a menu. If a user wanted them all available on one level, fine. If he wanted multiple "banks" for some reason, fine. If he wanted to separate them out by PTY, fine. However he wanted is the point. Obviously, one of the ideas behind playlists on the mp3 side is that multiple selections are played linearly. I'm not suggesting that you do that. Just have them laid out in the same manner. You could also have it do scans in the background for strong stations and have them automatically programmed into a special list, using the frequency and RDS info if available for names. This would be good for travelling in the US (not sure if it makes sense elsewhere).

In fact, I don't see that there's any reason that the radio should be so separate from the mp3 player portion of the software. Why not let mp3 playlists and radio stations exist in the same menu structure? You'd have to deal with what happened when a radio station was selected in a mass playing (probably just ignore it), but I think that it would have been doable. The big problem with this idea is that you'd have to deal with still having a separate mode so that people could tune manually. I don't have a good answer there.

Anyway, rant over.