I thought I could do this, but obviously not I'm hoping some-one can help educate me

I have a Netgear DG824M modem/router/Wireless Access Point running my home network. I have one port wired downstairs to the back of my TV stack. It happily works when plugged in to my DVD player, Karma, laptop or PS2. To stop all the unplugging, I added an unbranded 5-port switch I had lying around to the end of that cable. On the other side, the DVD and Karma still work happily (haven't tried the laptop), but the PS2 can't see through it. Unplug the main cable and straight back into the PS2 - no problem!

I have tried the usual combinations of different cables and ports etc, but everything checks out. I even get the 100M and Full-duplex lights lights up on whichever port the PS2 is plugged into. You get the occasional traffic on all the ports as usual. The PS2 just times out as though it is not getting a response...

Is there anything a switch might do to block traffic to/from the PS2, or should I be hunting down the PS2 support boards instead of trying to reconfigure my network?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Nick