Welp, got the new hard disk. Got a SATA drive by Western Digital, 200 gigs. Since it was a trip to Fry's, I probably paid a few bucks more than I really needed to. But there's just something nice about having it in your hands the same day you decide you want to actually buy it. Instant gratification and all that.

Interesting things I noted:

- The SATA connector that comes with the drive seems to include a "power" section, which in theory means I don't have to deal with those terrible molex power connectors any more. But no dice, it seems my motherboard or the connector or something doesn't supply power through the SATA plug, so I still have to use those awful old style power connectors. Sigh.

- Bios detects 200 gig, operating system thinks the drive is only 128 gig. Solution here.

Anyhoo, now I want to make this drive boot and have it be the only disk drive in the system. I want to copy my current boot drive over to it. Anyone have a favorite method for this that doesn't involve Partition Magic? I've done it before, a bunch of different ways, I'm just wondering if there's any fancy new tools to get this job done that perhaps I haven't heard about yet.

Edit: Never mind, the CD that came with the disk drive had a utility to do precisely that. We'll see how that goes.