NEVERMIND. I got it working.

When the empeg boots up I see all the messages (things like "press Ctrl-A to enter pump", "I see this is a developer image", "press 'q' now to go into development mode. You Have Zero Seconds To Comply"). The text looks complete as compared to what I've seen others include in posts.

I have tried "q", "Q", "q{ENTER}", "Q{ENTER}" but the player always starts. Once the player program starts, I get no echo, and none of the keys I've tried (q n Q N, etc.) do anything.

I use Kermit95, but also tried Hyperterm; I'm running Windows 2000 professional.

I think I can eliminate both serial ports and the cable as the problem because I have been able to upgrade the empeg from 1.0 to 1.01, and I've tried both the 1.01 consumer and 1.01 developer. Loading images goes smooth as silk (once I discovered COM2 was disabled in the BIOS :-?).

Maybe I should try the 1.0 developer image?

Any advice?

UPDATE: I saw a note saying empeg's serial port has no handshawing. I tried Hyperterm again, this time creating a connection with handsking=none, and it worked. I got to the shell, did an ls, exited, and the player restarted. And I can't repeate that. ARGGG!

UPDATE: OK. So empeg is case sensitive. Also maybe it helped to power off the empeg...anyway, I can now use either Kermit95 or Hyperterm. [mumble: now where's that post on telnet...]
--
Ami

Edited by ami on 03/12/00 11:34 PM.