Quote:
http://cns.miis.edu/pubs/week/020923.htm

I read their earlier report and though that it was couched in a lot of "based on non-confidential/secret information". So when I read Scheuer's book I thought, hey, this guy is active CIA. Why would he say ~100 nukes? Of course now I can't find that reference in the book. Am I conflating expert and non-expert authors?

I used to work on a psych ward with a guy who went on to be one of the experts in the disarmament field - think he is on the board at Monterey - hear him on the radio all the time. I should call hime up and go "Hey, Joe. Jim Hogan. Remember me? Yeah, so what's the deal with suitcase nukes?"

The way I don't spend a lot of time think about the collapse of the *Alaskan* Way Viaduct, I don't hide in my basement (don't have a basement, actually) waiting for the Big One.

I am not too optimistic, though, and wonder where things will spiral to if and when the other shoe drops. We have clearly gotten into a no-win situation in Iraq, and I fear that the rote reaction of the current government will be "We've got to push the arrow through to remove it!" Where 3 years ago we might have appeared invincible, the limitations of our military power are now exposed for all of our non-friends to see. We have essentially adopted defensive positions in Afghanistan and Iraq while still reinforcing extremists. I really wonder how long before Musharef is assasinated and parts of the Pakistani arsenel fall into different hands.....or not......you *know* that a team in the Pentagon is working on a war plan for a preemptive strike against Pakistan's nukes. Push...the arrow....through.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.