Has anyone out there considered developing a new client for the Rio Receiver which would work with UPnP AV Media Servers? I'm very happy running my Receiver with tRio, but looking at the market most of the newer streaming devices seem to support this standard, and there are some interesting-looking third party servers - in particular TwonkyVision , which has just released a version running on the Linksys NSLU2 (a tiny, very cheap, hackable Linux-based File Server using USB disks).

The real attraction of this is that the Rio could co-exist with other devices with differing feature sets - integrated DVD / streaming receivers for the main TV, Netgear MP101 where you need integrated wireless, Rio where you need a built-in amp, all from the same library & server daemon (plus a standalone RioBoot to load the client in the first place).

There are at least two free SDKs which give a start to the heavy work - one from Intel (which may have some nasty licence implications) and one on SourceForge. Integrating this with the RioPlay or derived xplRionet code would produce a device which co-existed cleanly with other similar products whilst retaining the unique Rio advantages.

I recognise that UPnP AV is grossly over-engineered for something which is fundamentally simple, but it does look like the future....

Any interest?

Phil

Edited by florca (07/10/2004 20:28)