Ok, this will be the long running progress tracking thread for the tranclucent button project. When something interesting happens on the project, I'll post it here.

First thing, button color swatches. I've attached a photo showing the comparison between the color swatches (covering the buttons) and the lenses they are intended to match (all Filener lenses except blue, which is the anti-reflective original factory replacement). Yup, I stacked my six lit players on top of eachother and took that photo... yup, sure did... suuuure I did.

To save load time on the thread, I've only attached it, so click the "Attachment" link at the top.

Of course, the colors don't match perfectly. The greenish VFD vs. the white LEDs hurts the red, blue, smoke, and amber. I will fix this with the company ASAP. It took over 2 weeks to get these color chips, so it could potentially take that much time for revised colors (though we may start creating the mold now, so the wait times would overlap).

So, what do you think? Personally, I like the more vibrant blue, red, and amber and the true gray smoke. But they don't match, so I can have them washed out with some additional green or yellow. And what to do with smoke... I've never liked the greenish look of the smoke lens. Do I make the buttons greenish to match or leave them clashing true gray?

My goal is to make these buttons to look exactly how you want them to. Thanks again for your feedback.

Notes:
- I have no idea why the red looks so dark. The original red lens looks much more full.
- The green photo features Brian's original knob. The colors seem less rich though, and Brian's button looks more green than in real life.
- The amber photo features my prototype knob. A very good color match.
- The small size of the knob hole kind of puts color plastic in front of the LEDs. This should be cut away to avoid tainting and dimming the light. Amber has no problem because around the knob is clear. I'll mention this again later.

Attachments
238520-ColorSwatches.jpg (637 downloads)