Quote:
No job is truly stable.

Yeah this is the other part too .. It's "relatively" stable where I am now, but that could easily change in a year or two years or hell, even six months. Whereas my dad has worked at the same place for 32 years, the thought of that is unfathomable to me.

Quote:
And if I'm not doing anything particularly exciting, it means that I'm not learning new things.

I've learned a LOT working here, but I agree, a big part of boredom is finding the end of the learning opportunities somewhere. I could always find more things to work on here and make new things for myself, but there's a difference between that and having someone give you a challenge to work on (and knowing you have to figure it out). I've always said that if I look back at me-of-three-months-ago (or my-code-of-three-months-ago) and haven't felt like I've learned anything new that it was probably a sign.

Quote:
It was his experience in some of the new stuff he'd learned with (b)

This was actually what is for me leading into this current job. I had been with a startup that Chapter 11'd and got bought out (I was an early member, but a bit of a peon in the scheme of things). That startup experience definitely hooked me up for this job. This one has been a much more stable company and I've had the opportunity now to work on much larger projects that the startup never would have gotten. Now I feel like I'm ready to go back to the startup armed with a lot more experience and have the chance to do it "right".