Quote:
I don't understand why people spend the time worrying about this sort of thing, actually.

Nor do I, but for different reasons. Apple created it, they call it Mac OS Ten. That should be the end of the discussion on what is the right way. Similar to Linux. Linus took his name, put an X in place of the S at the end, and done. So however his mother decided to say it became his name, and the name of his product.

I think most of the problem comes from the fact that the internet is such a print medium instead of a spoken one. So someone sees something once, and they get used to it. Mac OS X, ok, sounds good. Days weeks or months go by, and they hear someone say Ten, so they then just figure it is another possibility. Had the world been introduced to it by TV, the issue would likely not exist.

Continuity is definitly a good thing. It helps avoid issues in the long run, and I see it a lot at work. For example, a product I just got trained on sits in a rack and has an "address bus". It's a setup inside the rack where every device plugs into the address bus boxes, and based on where it is plugged in, the device gets assigned a number. By defauly in the low end configuration, you have disk enclosure 1 and 8. The controllers sit at 7. We always recommend it that way, so that when a disk fails in enclosure one, other people can find it quickly and not have to dig into the system.