Quote:
Is the secession thing a well-explored idea in US politics? The red-states/blue-states map looks very tidily geographically split, and the last time there was such a tidy geographical voting split in the UK (the Thatcher era: England Conservative, Scotland Labour) the Scots got really pretty serious about secession. I just wonder whether it's a tired old "can't happen" in the US, or whether it's actually conceivable to some people...

Peter

I don't think the seperation isn't as much red vs blue states as rural vs urban. States with large urban centers go democratic while more rural- and southern states go GGG (Gods, gays, guns). This is particularly evident looking at the county by county election map on CNN's website for the swing states like Ohio, Missouri, Iowa etc... All the blue is concentrated in urban areas- everything else is red. The interesting thing is the U.S. like most countries is getting more urban- so eventually the GOP are probably going have to deal with the same geographic problems the Democrats have now. Not to mention the fact my generation and younger are less reiligous and more accepting of gays- so the GGG issue cannot hold up forever.

Edited by siberia37 (04/11/2004 19:32)