Mostly from my experience with Mapopolis. Their s/w is obviously not PalmOS native -- they avoid the Palm paradigm for most functions, grafting their own buttons/menus in place rather than using the same common keys/methods used by native Palm apps. And their screen layouts are obviously designed for larger than 320x320 (aka. PocketPC devices, since very few Pams have that yet).

All of the screen shots on their (Mapopolis) site are actually from PocketPC, and the s/w looks (and is) great on a large screen. Okay on a 320x320 screen as well, but not quite as good as advertised.

For Tom-Tom, I'd just advise finding some 320x320 screenshots of the navigation mode (turn-by-turn direction arrows overlaid on 2-D map) before assuming it's as great on Palms as on PPC devices. None of the screen snaps Bitt linked to show this for 320x320 -- there are other 320x320 shots, but none of the navigation overlay, so one doesn't know if they've done that right or not.

Anyone got one to post a real operational photo of?

Regardless, I'm very happy with Mapopolis on my 320x320 Palm, even if they messed up the UI more than a good native implementation would have.

The nice thing is I knew all that before buying, since they have free s/w and free map downloads for trial.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (01/05/2005 15:11)