Ok.. had a nonbootable disk last night so I opened up the empeg to yank the drive for inspection. fsck'd it, it was fine and I put it back in. I think when I put it back in I screwed the cable up because now the first plug on the IDE cable doesn't detect squat, but the second adapter is fine. I can also take that first disk and it gets detected on the second adapter. So, it looks like that first adapter is bad.

I wanted to partition my secondary HD (40gb) as the primary so I can use the Empeg while I wait for a replacement cable. I used the upgrade wizard to flash the Builder upgrade onto the player, but when it rebooted I didn't see anything that made me think that it would setup drives, it wanted to mount them like normal. then it got a no-root panic..

I then found a link to differentpla.net and how to setup the partition tables by hand. I did that, rebooted and ran the 2.00beta13 upgrade (to install the player app) and now it boots but I have no FIDs. I tried to sync (also a rebuild from within jemplode) and it failed on not finding FID 0.

How can I create reserved fids, or is there another way to do a fresh setup by hand? thanks for any help.