Quote:
the client we use for the rio side of things (something i developed from Dave's rioplay with his blessing) in xplrionet isn't very good (due to my lack of c++ experience) and isn't a patch on riot

Firstly, I'm not sure I'd with agree that riot is better than rioplay/xplrionet. I haven't looked at your xpl enhancements, but I have the utmost respect for Dave Flowerday's skills - the design could hardly be cleaner and the lack of bug-reports speaks for its quality.

tRio/riot was largely based on RioPlay and Reza's RRR, but takes a radically different approach towards screen handling. As I'm sure you know, the riot code does very little screen handling itsself - it just sends key presses to the tRio server and displays screen images that are sent back to it. The screen images themselves are created by the java code running on the tRio server which allows it to do all that fancy font and image stuff (and also makes it very much easier to enhance/maintain).

And so riot is very tightly coupled to tRio. Are you intending to generate the screen images in the xpl server? (If not, I'm not sure that riot will be of all that much use to you.)

You are most welcome to borrow whatever you want from tRio/riot - especially as it borrowed so much from RioPlay. I tried to update the riot code in CVS this morning, but the sourceforge site was down. I'll try again this evening and let you know when it's done.

I think the idea of home automation is really cool and toyed with the idea of implementing the xpl interfaces in tRio a while back. But I found myself lacking in both time and expertise (work, that curse of the drinking classes!).

Cheers
Paul